Amalric's Retinue Part 1 and 2

 Except from the Diaries of His Majesty Hand of the Archduke Edric Boeruine, Jons Edergad....

1578HC, Roelir 19th

Eldric and I ride on the crest of the Tide of War. An arduous journey brings us to Soeberth where our Sovereign's Palace Guard is slaughtered in a surprise attack by one -to our knowledge sole- mysterious stranger. His Lordship deems it a message. I deem it an opportunity.

My own Brother, Commander Vincent and his Hands survived. Save for William who was grievously wounded - It's a pity that we will not be able to find in time what his waking words will be - if he ever wakes indeed.

My own work, as his Lordship's amanuensis (and historian in the stead of Eldergraile) was to start with the tasks long due; clad the young Archduke, protect his back from his enemies in body and force, by setting the eager Church to assist the administration.
Most of all; Let the People know Haelyn protects Him. Let the Church be reassured of His Piety. Let His enemies beware of his Banner, North and South.
And may we make it out of this alive.

 Today we ride. We ride to War, to Glory or Ruin.

 1578HC  Roelir 24th
Her name is Dylana. She prays to Haelyn with every morn and she wears His Holy symbol under her banner.

Unbeknownst to me she made herself known to His Lordship along with a small entourage announcing that she leads a Taeghas host. Their exact dealings remain unknown to me, though (knowning her now) there would have been threats from her part, I would expect. As our latter intelligence would have it, empty ones. Our scouts quickly uncovered their location, and reassured us that we outnumbered them three to one on a clear field.

Be it for fear of tricks and out of disbelief that they could be such honorable fools, or perhaps something else entirely, Amalric decided upon the route of diplomats.
 Archduke, Amalric Boeruine
My father once told me: not all Good men are fair to the eye, and Evil will go very far to look pleasing. My Sovereign does not seem to share that belief. Though usually openly weary of the Clergy, He looks kindly upon the pious Dylana -surrounded with her clerics- who is truly as fair as any summer day.
With a long-term plan in mind or not, He has brought us all into a new Gambit: He surrendered to His (to all appearances inferior) enemy, in order to have a clear shot at direct diplomacy.

Or so I hope. (Though, isn't there some undeniable poetry indeed in the hypothesis that amidst the blades of War my Lord makes folly for Love? Nay. Amalric knows better than to be a poet.)

The Palace Guard (my Brother and Commander Vincent included), are all very displeased to leave their swords rusting in their scabbards, doubly so when the aforementioned swords along with their scabbards are left many a league behind us with the Archduke's numerous army. For their frustration, and for my own misguided choice of words, I suffered some further indignities in their hands. My Brother shares a lot of Blood with Taeghas after all.

As we travel to Stormpoint we get to talk. It's a pleasant change of pace, and a luxury that you cannot find when traveling with a host. I have been spending time with the two young Leaders; Amalric Boeruine is to me two things. One is, the young-man Amalric, and the other, His Lordship Boeruine that Haelyn bids me to love, serve and protect. It was Amalric-the-Lord was who I chose to see all this time, though getting to know young-man-Amalric, I have found that he is a precious interlocutor and more than pleasant company. On the other hand, Lady Dylana is odd, aloof, and yet her people love her. Letting slip the opportunity to know her would be foolish.

The Thread unravels inexorably, and the War that never Was still looms over us, unclear whether history will want to remember it as a disgrace or an ingenious strategem.

from Fotis Kakogiannhs












Comments